Thursday, August 25, 2005

Monday, Tuesday, Happy Days


So Monday I got to see the rest of those acts that were on the shortlist of 22 that I hadn't yet seen.

Dutch Elm - Funny sketch show with a scene whereby the moon landings were actually recorded in Ealing Studio, not the moon or Hollywood. Really enjoyed their show.

Rhod Gilbert - Welsh sardonic comedian. Found his style to grate on me after a while, as he tells us about his childhood growing up in 1984, none of which is true.

Alex Horne - I absolutely loved this show considering it's all about learning latin. But there is a reason for this, and it's not Alex Horne, but his side kick Tim Key, who I believe is a genius comedy actor. And was also the star of the sketch show I loved (no longer on the list) Cowards. Definitely a name to keep an eye out for. Whilst the show is fun, they are holding actual Latin lessons every day in the Slug and Lettuce. Someone from the panel went along. They'd taken over the entire pub, and it was chaos. She was told on entering that Hades was hiding under the coffee table? Bizarre.

DJ Danny - The idea is he's a teacher whose become a superstar DJ. Basically it comes across as if he's saying anyone can become a DJ. There is just one salient point, whilst he's up there pretending to mix tracks, it's obvious he's just actually playing a CD of pre-recorded mixed tracks. Disappointing, though he did get the crowd going in one giant body pop.

Tuesday I just had the one show to see, which meant I got chance to do some shopping. The act I saw was Tim Minchin. Overhyped, pianist on at the Gilded Balloon. Obvious to me but no one else that he's a failed musician sticking some crap comedy into his show, complete with a falling off stage routine and mad crazy hair cut. I'm being told it's cabaret. I think Ben Folds does it better, but no one else has seen him perform.
Look at that madcap hair.
Fools.

No comments: