Tuesday, August 16, 2005

It's been a while

Well it seems like i've been here for two weeks already. I didn't get chance to write yesterday. By the time I had some spare time all the net cafes were shut. Even the Easyeverything, which apparently isn't easy after 8.

So on Sunday I saw just 6 acts. First up Matt Tiller. Two words, Austin Powerpoint. He made some great use of Hasselhoff and the Flumps, but his show was basically him trying to get a date out of his audience. There's something of a theme with that this year.

Then I saw a sketch show, Cowards, these guys have been on Radio 1 apparently. I really enjoyed these. They were doing something different, using minimal but effective props.

Christie and Doyles Axis of Evil on the other hand was ok but wasn't a great 50mins of material. There was one good joke where the mixed up the Middle East with Long Eaton (East Midlands see?)

The Bicycle Men is a play that's transferred from New York. Had a few good songs, but because it had narrative it'll probably be ineligible. It will however I predict have a cult following by the end of it's run.

Next up a duo previously nominated a few years ago, Priorite a Gauche. To me they seemed to be doing the same old schtick. It's surprising that they are still managing to get a laugh out of the French accent.

Second to last was Reggie Watts. I couldn't work out if he was a genius or shit. Certainly there were bits said in a mad rambling style that suggested Eddie Izzard. But then there were bits where I thought he's on drugs and he's just mumbling. What are you saying?! There was a great line he said "In 1941 everyone in Germany was super into hiding." His show was interrupted by a fire alarm and an evacuation, which meant I was late for...

Nicko and Joe
. A little embarrassing, begging to be let in to find the smallest room ever, 5 audience members and two performers. Still they were all a friendly bunch. We all knew each others names by the end of the show. They basically did funny little acoustic numbers. Sweet and a nice way to finish the evening. Whilst this would never sway my opinion, it helped that Joe was nice to look at. Believe me there has been a distinct lack of that kind of talent so far.

No comments: