Monday, October 10, 2005

Perrier London Season - Jeremy Lion and Chris Addison - Lyric Theatre - 9th October

Jeremy Lion - What's the Time Mr Lion?

I found myself giggling all the way through Jeremy's show. Not because it was funny, but having seen the show twice before and not enjoying it, it's now become something in my mind so bad it's good. I think from now on we will always have a love/hate relationship. At least this time I didn't have to care it was a perrier contender. I also didn't have some mad bitch next to me making comments about me and the fact I wasn't laughing like I did last time. Caz was sat next to me instead. The first time she's got to see the show and although she'd had a fair amount to drink beforehand neither of us could get to that level drunkenness.

The whisky moment is still the highlight of the show, as the Jeremy, the alcoholic kid's entertainer finds hidden bottles amongst the stage props and then hands them out in a game of pass the parcel without the music. There is a nice moment when he comes down into the audience and finds one above the Stall doors exit sign. And one is planted up in the balcony underneath a chair Row C seat 3. Being in Row G it was touch or go as to whether any of the bottles would make it back as far as us. Many bottles mysteriously vanished into peoples bags when the show was in Edinburgh. But we managed to just get a final nip each from one bottle. Oh well.

Chris Addison - Atomicity Ah little Chris-sy Addison. He was robbed. What can I say. I tried.

Chris manages to look 10 years younger than his 33 years for his role in The Thick Of It. Playing Ollie Reader, he's a put upon civil servant usually charged with getting Chris Langham's character Hugh Abbot MP out of the shit. But being young and fresh out of university, Ollie is naive and somewhat struggling to catch up and fit in with governmental life and their mannerisms.

On stage Chris Addison still manages to appear young through his childlike enthusiasm about his subject atoms. Actually a real child wouldn't probably get as excited about it, or at least we didn't when we were at school. That coupled with the odd giggle, chuckle and cheeky grin, you can't help but get swept along by him. An hour soon passes. And I certainly don't remember science lessons going like that at school.

No comments: