Thursday, October 06, 2005

Humanist Funerals

Humanist Funerals

A friend of mine recently went to his first Humanist Funeral and the whole idea of a humanist funeral got me thinking.

What 5 songs would I have played at my funeral? Several drinks in the pub later and I have. (With a little assistance.)

1 Boy with an Arab Strap by Belle and Sebastian - A twee, jolly little opener, which is rude.

2 Suspicious Minds by Elvis - Just a great song. I know there are millions of great songs, but I've chosen this one, because I can.

3 Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying by Belle and Sebastian - Two B&S songs, only because I couldn't choose between them, then realised I could have both.

4 The Man don't give a Fuck by the Super Furries - just because it's got the word fuck in it.

5 New York New York by Frank Sinatra - A song to remind everyone of me. Everyone will be required to get up and leg kick along.

What 5 songs would you choose? Remember "there is no God" so swearing is allowed. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Em

There were only 3 songs played at the funeral and not 5 but that's not a hard and fast rule. A couple of poems were also read out but you could have a favourite comedy sketch (This parrot's dead!)

My 3 would be:-

1) Tender - Blur
2) Putting out fires - The Bluetones
3) Manna from Heaven - Miles Hunt

I mulled over Don't let me down gently by the Stuffies and Smile by the Supernaturals as I am reknown for my bouncy poppy indie tunes.

Dave

notputtingupshelves said...

I didn't think 3 was enough. We are music lovers afterall. And there is no way I could squeeze my life down into 3 songs.

In any case it's my funeral, my rules.

Your list is of no surprise. I would have put money on Blur, Miles Christ and The 'glass coffee tabled' one, but the bookies would never have taken my money.

Anonymous said...

I can't even think about it, oh too many songs...

It will be of no surprise to you that Landslide by the mighty Fleetwood Mac would be in there. Also the Killers - Glamourous Indie Rock and Roll...

I always said U2 - With Or Without You. Not because the song is great or anything, but for a "not a dry eye in the house effect" (oh yes I want tears) but now the thought of that Fuckwit bono singing at my funeral (allbeit not in person) would literally make me turn in my grave.

This certainly requires more thought.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it is your choice but then you could have a comedy reading as well. You've only got a 30 minute slot or so, it's not a headline set at Glastonbury.

What's wrong with picking 3 bands that everyone who knows me know that I like and have done for years. That's the idea.....
Putting out Fires is my tearjerker but Tender sets the mood.
Miles, well, what more can I say, get yourself to the halfmoon on 3rd Nov.