Sunday, July 16, 2006

Tin Pan Alley Festival 2006 - Denmark Street

It seems like the Tin Pan Alley Festival 2006 came around really quickly again this year. And I have to report the dreaded thing has happened... it's got too big for the street. We arrive mid-afternoon thinking it would be sensible not to stand out in the blazing hot sun all day, only to find a throng amassed around the entrance to the street, just off Charing Cross Road. And there across the street was a fence, complete with security guards.

With a bit of patience and a lot of hefty shoving (not by us, but those behind) we were finally let through after 15 minutes, but there was no chance to get out for beers later. We were trapped.

Where last year and the year before it had been a relatively mellow day, relaxing in the sun drinking beer, watching bands, wandering freely. Now there were more people, drinking more beer in the hot sun, lots of security guards, and a general air that things were going to kick off.

A car that for some bizarre reason, known only to the driver, was still parked in the street, with only a bit of low metal fencing around it to protect it. The first time the car siren went off it was funny, and the second time too. Some people decided to use it as a better viewing platform. (Didn't see that coming.) Cue one angry man getting on stage half way through a band's song, to shout quite angrily about the wrongs of sitting on other peoples cars.... and so the day went on.

I can only hope that they come up with a better way of organising the entrance next year. Maybe issuing free tickets before the event or something. Here's hoping.

Meanwhile some pictures:
It's ickle John Kennedy

FO Machete - and I did want to say Fuck off by they time they'd kicked into the 3rd song.

I was a bit disappointed by Vincent Vincent and the Villains, I kind of got distracted from the off by the lead singers hat, mainly because if I squinted they were a bit like the Ordinary Boys, in other words ordinary. I wanted a flamboyant outfits, I guess it was just the name that made me think they might be a bit outlandish. It turns out they were just another indie group. In fact not that dissimilar in sound to the Ordinary Boys...

As it turned out nothing really caught my eyes or my ears on stage. By the time Bromhead Jacket came on I was ready to go home. We stuck it through and left before British Sea Power came on.

I just add one final note. Hot weather doesn't suit me. It removes all sympathy from my generally lethargic self. And therefore perhaps my less than enthusiastic review of the day.

No comments: