Monday, July 03, 2006

Day trip to Amsterdam -30th July

Ok it was with work, so it probably doesn't really count as a trip. Exhausting, having got up at just before 3am, and not getting home till nearly 8pm.

Still what I saw of Amsterdam I loved.

For starters they have lots of Wind farms. Apparently, so my supplier tells me, farmers are given a subsidy for every wind turbine they have on their land. So of course all the farmers have one. To me it makes sense. Any argument that they are an unsightly blot on the land, need to think about what that land will look like a few decades down the line, when we've ravaged this earth of all it's resources, and polluted it to hell.

Plus I think they look cool and quite serene!


Bizarrely in a little town 40 minutes out of Amsterdam we came across a London Red Bus, with Wimbledon as the destination on it...
Nope me neither!

And then there is the cheese of amsterdam...






Being a cheese lover, probably more than I am of chocolate (shock) I was in my element, buying an edam with mustard seeds, another whole farmhouse edam for 10euros. And the best buy of all, was one I bought which caught my attention Reypenaer because it mentioned on a sticker "Nantwich International Cheese Show." Of course I had to buy it! Quite a good salty tasting Gouda, perfect for putting on jacket potatoes.

I'm back there in a few weeks for another work trip. It's a good job you don't need to declare cheese at Customs. Actually scrap that you probably do, I better go and check.

No comments: