Thursday, November 22, 2007

Trip to Milan - 21st November

Another trip to visit a supplier, this time flying to Milan. I know get me and my jetsetter lifestyle. Obviously it was hard work pretty much the entire time. One night out in Bergamo though did mean I get to sample the local Milanese cuisine and their hospitality. After asking if there was anything on the menu that could be considered a Milan speciality dish I ordered the ossobuco, milanese veal.

Having eaten twice my weight in food, I had to decline the traditional italian coffee at the end of the meal. And by coffee, I mean the shot kind. Our hosts took amusement at our coffee drinking ways. Latte and cappicinos are breakfast to them. Drinking them after 10am is seen as barmy behaviour!

Since we didn't take coffee our hosts felt the need to offer us something stronger still. Looking at our Italian counterparts faces and the bottles of whiskey that were displayed around the restaurant I knew I couldn't decline the offer this time.

What I wasn't expecting was a bottle of Grappa half my height to be wheeled out. It felt like most the restaurant had turned to stare at the English girl attempt to drink a shot of their rocket fuel. In grand ceremony style a couple of shots were poured for me and one of my hosts. A proper event, photo's were insisted on.


Bottle

Drink
I don't think they could believe I downed it without wincing or eyes watering. Turns out whiskey prepares you for most alcoholic surprises.

No comments: