Saturday, September 16, 2006

Dylan Moran - Like Totally, Live at the Hammersmith Apollo

I’m sure you all know I have a slight obsession with the Dylan of Moran. I think if I counted up all of his shows that I’d seen, I’d be in to scary numbers. I could well be out of my teens of times.

He is the genius behind the magnificent Bernard Black and Black Books. He’s in the best romcomzom, Shaun of the Dead. And he is reported to soon be in Too Much Too Young, written by Paul Rose, whose blog here, tells of another sitcom he’s putting together with Mark Heap (another Simon Pegg chum.) All very exciting.


So if there is a Dylan show, I’m there. Tickets are purchased in the blink of an eye, without waiting to check to see if friends can even make it. Not wishing to crane my neck for the entire show, I refrain from getting Row A seats and settle for the middle of Row B. As it turns out that is in direct range of the cherries, but luckily we’re not hit.

Dylan tells us he’s a compulsive, coming on stage as he does with a coffee, a bowl of cherries, whilst there is already a glass of water and red wine on his little table. He takes swigs and eats from them all, inbetween taking drags on the cigarettes he pulls from his pocket. But he decides he doesn't really want the cherries and chucks them at the audience.

The evening winds around topics such as children, they make you realise how little you know. Religion, "People who turn to Jesus tend to be people who haven't done that well with anyone else." And living in other countries, “The German language is like a typewriter eating tinfoil." California, is a state where the ability to lift things apparently equates to power. Meaning Mr Schwarzenegger of course. Lots of little funny lines strewn amongst Dylans shambling ramble.
All the while 2 screens behind him have projected on them his sketches. During the interval I go off to get copies of the £5 Progamme, signed no less, to get my hands on more of his funny cartoons and artwork. All in all a great evening, as always.

No comments: