Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Nürnberg International Toy Fair

It's been all go recently. Well all Toys and go. I flew out to Nürnberg on the 5th, via Frankfurt, to the International Toy Fair. Having already done one Toy Fair at Excel a week and half before, it could be easy to get Toy overload. But the International Toy Fair is something else. Excel looks like a market stall compared to Nürnberg. I counted something like 16 halls. If you were to walk every aisle from end to end you would end up walking 22 miles apparently. I made a pretty good stab it.

As some of you will know I've been off the booze since New Year. I just wanted to prove that I wasn't an alcoholic. I decided my first beer should be in Germany. Now I do think by lasting over a month without any alcohol proves I'm not an alcoholic. The taking of a picture of the first beer I'm not so sure...














Our evenings were taken up with entertaining one of our US suppliers, and keeping them happy. This is the only excuse I have for us going to both a gay bar and a whorehouse all in the same night.

Yes you read that right a whorehouse.

In need of a drink we'd gone past one establishment with it's wares/whores pictured on the outside. Kakadu on the hand did not. It did however have red low lighting, sofas, red heart cushions and a man buttoning up his shirt whilst sitting next to a busty old lady.

Still undeterred we ordered drinks, whilst one of our group questioned the girl behind the bar about the curtained off areas and asked where all the girls were. They were out, but would be back in a little while. Some of our more naive members of the group were still not convinced that we were in a bar of dubious nature, that is until the old lady whipped out her breasts for the guy on the sofa to fondle. I didn't have a view of this from where I was stood, but got a running commentary from one guy in our group. Nice.

On the way out, someone, who'll remain nameless, "borrowed" a red heart cushion, which is now in her possession. I think the idea is to send it to our US suppliers as a Valentine surprise.

The Snowy weather...














We did have a pleasant stay, even if we realised on the final day the "old town" part of Nurnberg is also home to the "oldest profession." We had some lovely meals at a recommended restaurant called the Nassauer Keller.




























With a doorway which is only 2 thirds of my height tall, leading straight into a steep stairway down into the cellar, it instantly charmed us. Everyone eating there seemed to be of another nationality, all trying to communicate with pointing, to try and work out the best meal. I had the BEST roast duck I have ever tasted. And huge to. And when it's all paid for you can't complain.

The final night we went out with a few suppliers, this time to the german equivalent of wetherspoons. I was determined to order the pancakes for dessert even though it was for a minimum of 2 people and no one else wanted them. (The lure of Mövenpick Ice Cream and Donald Duck shaped sweets were too much for everyone else.) I made what I thought was a valiant effort to eat my way through them. You can see mine and Bradley’s amazement/joy when they arrived.















Flew back into Heathrow via Munich this morning, we got up at 2.30am GMT, having gone to bed at 10pm GMT the night before. A lovely 4 hours sleep and a lot of waiting around in airports meant that when I got into work just before midday I was shattered to say the least.

No comments: