Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Album of the Year 2005

The Independent has a story today about the HMV's critics choice for album of the year. Comparing it to the Best Selling albums of the year, using that as the public's vote, the only thing that can be said is the public shouldn't be allowed to buy records.

Anyway that got me thinking what were mine. Ok, these are in no particular order, though Arcade fire wins, even if technically it's not a 2005 record if you count it was available on import in 2004.

Antony & the Johnsons
I Am a Bird Now

Arcade Fire
Funeral













Bloc Party
Silent Alarm

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Devendra Banhart
Cripple Crow

Franz Ferdinand
You Could Have It So Much Better

Hard Fi
Stars of CCTV

Kaiser Chiefs
Employment

King Creosote
K.C. Rules OK

LCD Soundsystem
LCD Soundsystem

Maximo Park
A Certain Trigger

Sigur Rós
Takk

Sufjan Stevens
Illinois

The White Stripes
Get Behind Me Satan

Wolf Parade
Apologies to the Queen Mary

I want to include one cheesy soundtrack too, the Blackpool Soundtrack, since that has kept me laughing and dancing for the past few months.

I received a pile of records recently that I haven’t had chance to appreciate yet and let slip into my subconscious. So I am sure the following should really be in the list above if I weren’t so lax.

Bearsuit
Team Ping Pong

Broken Social Scene
Feel Good Lost

Chad VanGaalen
Infiniheart

José González
Veneer

Herman Dune
Not On Top

The Rakes
Capture/Release

Rogue Wave
Descended Like Vultures

Say Hi To Your Mom
Ferocious Mopes

Stars
Set Yourself On Fire

Ok some of these were only on import last year, still they count. They were available.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed :-

Arcade Fire - Funeral
Gorillaz - Demon Days (yes I know, shoot me now)
Common - Be
Louis XIV - Best Little Secrets Are Kept (Just squeezes in to 2005)
Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock And Roll
Brakes - Give Blood

Honourble mentions to the White Stripes, Magic Numbers, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade and Duke Spirit

notputtingupshelves said...

Ste, good to hear from you. How's tricks?

Haven't got around to buying Art Brut's album. I'm waiting for it to turn up in one of the music exchanges on the cheap.

Sufjan Steven's album is currently on rotation on my ipod. Fast becoming a fave.