Thursday, December 15, 2005

Nine Black Alps - Astoria

Wednesday 14th December

Giles called me up having got a spare ticket for the Nine Black Alps at the Astoria. I'm fairly convinced that I've seen them before, probably just as a band on early at Glastonbury or something, but I thought it was worth seeing them again. I figured I knew at least one of their songs. I actually counted 4 songs that I knew. It's XFM, the songs creep into your subconscious when it's on as background noise.

We decided on getting a view from the balcony since it was rammed downstairs. It's probably as well, since there is no way I could have kept up with the kids in the mosh pit beating 7 kinds of crap out of each other. And to be honest it was a lot more fun watching it from our bird's eye view. The odd girl or couple wandering forward thinking they could see a gap nearer the front, only to find themselves in a whirlpool of teenage moshing. The crowd seemed to be enjoying the moshing and surfing slightly more than they were the music.



Watching the bouncers as they pulled the surfing kids clear of the barrier I came up with the theory of Bouncer Cricket. There definitely seemed to be some competiveness going on and so I conclude that you get 3 points for a pulling a kid clear. 1 point for an assist. Seriously there was one bouncer, who if he didn't get a hold on the kid first, went then to hold on to the back of the bouncer who had. And then 2 points for pushing the kid once he was over and on his way back round.

And so Bouncer Cricket is born.

No comments: